If you would like to register your interest in any of the courses scheduled below or would like more information, please contact Auckland Football Federation Development Officer Steven Dillon.
For a full calendar of upcoming coaching courses click here.
NZF Youth Level 1 (Ref: YL1)
This four-hour workshop provides coaches with an introduction into age-appropriate, effective coaching for players aged 12-19 years. The course of learning focuses specifically on developing youth football players and the considerations for coaches working with this community of players.
The content provides a general overview of the ‘What’ and ‘How’ of coaching, with this age group of players, through an interactive and practical approach. This course is perfect for coaches who want to develop a general knowledge and skill base around youth coaching and those who aim to improve their effectiveness with their players.
What's on offer:
- Formal qualification
- Understanding players' age-related characteristics and needs
- Introduction to a player-centred coaching philosophy for youth coaches
- Developing player-centred coaching tools
- Practice planning and delivering age and football development stage appropriate activities
- Training catalogue for players transitioning from the intermediate to the advanced stage of development (12 -19 years)
- Training catalalogue for players in the advanced stage of development (12 - 19 years)
The module content has been carefully designed to provide you with the relevant knowledge and skills to progress your learning and help you to work effectively within this particular age group of players. The modules have been classified as either age specific modules or generic modules.
The generic modules involve content and learning that is relevant to all coaches regardless of the age of the players they coach, i.e. Player-Centred Coaching and the specific modules contain content that is relevant to a designated community of players (i.e. Game Day Coaching 9v9 & 11v11).
These modules are perfect for beginner and developing coaches who want to increase their effectiveness in key areas of coaching pertaining to youth players.
What's on offer:
Tactical Module (4 hours) (Ref: YL2Tact)
- Creating a game day coaching philosophy
- Understanding the needs of your players on game days
- Introducing a system of play to youth players
- Overview of the basic tactics and principles of play and diagnosing football problems to support player learning
- Developing player-centred coaching strategies to support player learning on game day
Player-Centred Coaching Module (4 hours) (Ref: YL2PCC)
- Understanding how to use the "Teaching Games For Understanding" coaching tool
- Understanding how to use "questioning" effectively
- Understanding how players learn and developing strategies to promote learning
- Practical coaching ideas to develop a player-centred approach to coaching
Developing Technique & Skills Module (4 Hours) (Ref: YL2DTS)
Football Fitness Module (4 Hours) (Ref: YL2FF)
This course examines the physical demands of the game in order to develop an understanding of the physiological characteristics of youth football.
- Determining the role of growth and maturation and discussing the impact of Relative Age Effect.
- Understand how injuries are caused and what can be done to prevent them.
- Provide some guidelines for effective development of strength & conditioning.
- Examine the role of endurance training and look at how small sided games can be used in this regard.
- Examine the role and use of strength & power training with youth footballers.
- Requirements for developing speed appropriate to the game of football.
In their words: "The youth courses that I have been on have been very well laid out and full of information. They have been professionally presented and the practical sessions have been a great help. I fully recommend them to anyone who wants to further their abilities in the coaching field." Brian, Green Bay.
"Thanks again for the great workshop. It was well presented, well organized and had great delivery on the pitch. It was my third one in the last 3 months and again was very refreshing and innovative. I would recommend these courses to all coaches who want to raise the bar." Alec, Auckland.
NZF Youth Level 3
A programme of development allowing the very best youth coaches to specialise in coaching of talented youth players, particularly in Regional, Federation, and National Talent Centres. Level 2 completion is a pre-requisite (available 2013).